July 3, 2018
Yoga is an activity with low impact on the joints which increases flexibility, stability, balance and core strength for people of all ages. For elderly people who often have difficulties maintaining balance, this is especially important as it can help prevent falls or other accidents.
Here is an overview of what regular yoga practice (2-3 times/week) can potentially do for senior citizens:
- Increase joint strength and mobility
- Improve stability and balance
- Reduce chances of falling down
- Improve the cardiovascular system
- Improve sleep
- Lower cholesterol as well as blood pressure
- Improve well-being and mood
- Aide recovery after surgery
- Possibly reduction of depression and anxiety
Yoga can be practiced by everyone and depending on your ability you will start accordingly with certain exercises. As with any new exercise routine, it is essential to train in a facility with certified instructors and make sure to consult with your doctor before starting.
A simple, cheap and effective activity which can be conducted anywhere. It can help to maintain mobility and independence for senior citizens. Non-active or sedentary lifestyle can cause muscle loss and can lower the aerobic capacity. Mark Fenton, editor of the Boston-based Walking Magazine mentioned on “American Trails” that, “The elderly have some special physical concerns that can be helped with regular exercise like walking.” He also explains that regular walking/exercising can improve mental health through a higher sense of self-esteem and better sense of purpose. Other health benefits can include:
- Decreased chance of dying from heart disease
- Decreased risk of developing colon cancer
- Cardiovascular improvement
- Decreased chance of developing diabetes
- Lower risk of developing hypertension
- Increased flexibility, balance and muscle strength, all of which reduce the risk of falls
- Reducing risk of obesity
Mindfulness including meditation has become a tool many people use to improve their mental health and brain capacity. Seniors, specifically, have shown improvement. Apps like Calm.com can help to with an easy introduction to this ancient practice. Benefits of meditation can include:
- Helps memory
- Activates the endorphin-producing areas of the brain
- Sharpens and focuses the mind
- Reduces stress
Just Like Family is a home health care provider in Naples always focused on the well-being of clients, trying to help them stay independent in their own home. Our caregivers can assist in conducting activities like walking, and yoga to help you improve your health. Please note that any activities you or your loved ones participate in should only be started after consulting a doctor.
Disclaimer: The blog entry above has been created utilizing different online sources. The blog entry has not been verified by a doctor. Please note that conducting the above-mentioned activities is at the individual’s own risk and responsibility. Please always consult a doctor before exercising or doing any physical activity, especially to avoid injuries or harm due to unknown preconditions. Just Like Family is not responsible for any injuries while conducting the above activities.